The social and environmental changes that have occurred in the last decades put a heavy pressure on natural resources, especially on water resources.
As environmental issues cross borders, they should be addressed in a broader perspective, especially in what concerns the management of the integrated water cycle. It is about the need to increase the levels of efficiency and effectiveness of water management that focuses on the AquaMundam project.
On both the Portuguese and Spanish frontiers, there is a clear need to strengthen links and cooperation aimed at achieving sustainable water management, a natural, scarce and indispensable resource for most economic activities.
To conserve and protect the environment and promote resource efficiency.
The project ‘AquaMundam: Solutions for the sustainable and integrated water management in the POCTEP region’ aimed promoting the environmental protection by improving the management of the entire water cycle in trans boundary spaces. The aim is to promote the rational use of water, through the development of methodologies and tools and the valuation of existing solutions and techniques.
Expected and Achieved Results:
• Diagnostics report on the current situation of the management of the integrated water cycle in the POCTEP area, particularly in 12 small and medium-sized municipalities of that region;
• Identification of good practices and plans for improving water cycle management;
• Identification and enhancement of innovative solutions for water quality monitoring, network efficiency and economic cycle of water services;
• Training of key actors in the context of water management;
• Development of tools for integrated water cycle management.