Nowadays, the concept of waste emerges as an unused product of a transformation process generated by industry, commerce and housing. This stereotype reduces its chances of being reintroduced in the market. Nevertheless, it is still possible to find a wide range of applications when properly treated. The food industry, in particular egg producers, generates large amounts of waste, which is currently being landfilled after expensive bacterial elimination treatments. However, if the treatments are sustainable, the properties of similar materials used in various applications can be overcome.
To strengthen research, technological development and innovation.
The goal of the project was not only the waste recovery from the food industry, but also the development of micronized calcium carbonate products with different properties from the existing ones (GCC and PCC).
The products will be applied as filler, not only in the paint industry, but also in the papermaking industry, the property improvements resulting from their addition are identified for each case.
• Efficient separation of existing membrane from eggshell;
• Development of compatible biogenic mineral fillers for incorporation into ink and paper formulations;
• Development of ink films and paper sheets with additions of biogenic calcium carbonate slurries;
• Analysis of the mechanical and physical properties of the new products developed;
• Patent registration of the developed technology.